10+ Best Android Frameworks for App Development
Smartphones have evolved our lives in a way no technological advancement has ever done before. It is impossible today to imagine a world without these little devices and the benefits that they bring. From having all the knowledge in the world at your fingertips to getting food and transport to your doorsteps, smartphones are there to make your life easier in every way. But as we are all well informed, it is the various apps with so many different features that make smartphones what they are.
Easily downloadable and primarily free, mobile apps have now become almost an essential part of our daily life – from using Uber for easy hassle-free transport to hopping on to Zomato to satisfy your midnight food cravings, they have got your back in any scenario! Having said that, did you ever stop for a moment to wonder exactly how these apps get made?
Mobile apps are a result of tireless work by app developers across platforms. App developers utilize various Mobile App Development Frameworks to make their vision a reality. So what are mobile app frameworks? They are downloadable software libraries sketching out the basic structures for app development for a particular platform. This article guides you to get acquainted with some of the best mobile app frameworks out there. Whether you are an aspiring app developer or just someone on the internet curious to know about the blueprints of your favorite apps, we hope you will find the fundamental concepts here!
Before diving into examples of the leading Mobile Application Development Frameworks, let us understand the following primary divisions among mobile app frameworks. These are –
Native App Development Frameworks
These allow the development of apps for one particular platform only. Native Apps will function only on the platform or device they were designed for. Native Apps are much costly to develop and have been observed to be more smooth and quick in their functions than other apps.
Web App Development Frameworks
A mobile web app framework enables the developer to design apps that can be accessed and executed efficiently on any mobile device through web browsers.
Hybrid App Development Frameworks
If you want the best of both worlds, go for hybrid mobile app frameworks. A combination of Native and Web Apps, apps designed with hybrid app frameworks utilize a single source code and are viable for multiple platforms and devices. Hybrid apps are more cost-effective and faster to develop than others.
Cross-Platform App Development Frameworks
Cross-platform mobile app development frameworks enable the development of apps that can be used across multiple operating systems. They are similar to Hybrid Apps in their feature of code shareability; however, there are some distinct differences between the two. Cross-Platform apps are also a more cost-effective option than native apps.
Now that we have laid down the basic app development frameworks let’s go on to some examples! Following is a list of the most enticing and best Android Frameworks 2021. The list focuses on android app development frameworks considering that AndroidAndroid is the most widely used OS system globally. However, most of this software can be utilized for ios operating systems owing to their cross-platform feature.
- It is a cross-platform application.
- Allows easy and direct access to AndroidAndroid and ios APIs.
- Excellent backend support.
- Smooth native user interface.
- Creation of platform-specific versions of components.
- Seamless integration with third-party plugins.
- Designs high-quality cross-platform native and web apps.
- Offers a library of mobile-optimized UI components.
- By utilizing Cordova plugins, it enables app developers to access other framework components like camera and GPS.
Developed by none other than Google, Flutter is a UI toolkit library. It assists in developing native applications for web, mobile, and desktops. Written in Dart, Flutter is used to create fantastic native interfaces across AndroidAndroid and ios operating systems. Some exciting features of this relatively new hybrid app development framework are
- Hassle-free cross-platform development process.
- Allows continuous testing without having to restart applications constantly.
- The UI toolkit supports customized widgets.
- Fast and smooth rendering and themes for AndroidAndroid and ios.
Xamarin is an open-source, cross-platform app development framework that utilizes .NET to build and design native apps across AndroidAndroid, ios, and the web. Founded by Microsoft, it supports multiple tools and programming languages. Some key features include –
- Building of native apps with shared UI code written in C# or XAML.
- Sharing of code and testing business logic across platforms.
- Allows developers direct access to ios and Android APIs.
Jquery Mobile is a cross-platform app development framework that HTML5 powers. Extremely popular among developers, this framework allows them to execute a prewritten code on any required platforms, including but not limited to Windows Phones, Symbian, or Blackberry. Some important features are –
- Builds highly responsive applications.
- Supports plugins like pop-up boxes, image sliders, and content sliders, thus making webpages user friendly and interactive.
- Compatible with other mobile app frameworks like WorkLight and PhoneGap.
An open-source and cross-platform app development framework Corona SDK is used extensively from developing games and other applications. It supports a wide range of platforms and devices, including iPad, iPhone, Windows Desktop, Mac Desktop, and Amazon TV. Some salient features include –
- Uses Lua Scripting language, which is easy to learn, lightweight, and focuses on speed, portability, and extensibility.
- Allows speedy developments.
- It has more than 1000 built-in APIs and supports a wide range of plugins.
This is a new app development framework in the market, giving others a run for their money. An open-source framework, all it needs is an HTML layout, CSS, and JS files. Some of its features are –
- It comes with multiple ready-to-use UIs.
- Focuses primarily on ios and Google material design.
- Enables working without hardware-specific limitations.
- The latest version of PhoneGap supports Cordova Webview allowing the integration of PhoneGap’s codes into larger native apps.
- Supports an extensive plugin library.
Sencha Ext Js
- Ext Js comes with 115 pre-integrated and high-performing UI components, including HTML5 calendar, pivot grid, grids, trees, D3 adapters, lists, menus, etc.
- Sencha has hundreds of inbuilt user extensions.
- Excellent visual data representation.
In a Nutshell:
Proper App Development Frameworks are crucial for building apps that can attract and benefit many users. The above-discussed apps are mostly known as some of the leading app development frameworks for Android, and even though, as we have discussed, their cross-platform nature allows most of these apps to function across other operating systems. These Frameworks are developed by Android Framework developers, whose job descriptions are not the same as those of Android app developers as some people may think. It is based on these fundamental frameworks and structures developed and laid out by Android Framework developers that app developers set out to build the applications of their dreams.
The app frameworks are like the skeletons of the apps, without which the whole application shall fall apart. In the aforementioned blueprint, we have tried to lay out the basic ideas and concepts behind app development frameworks, how they work and have provided a list of some of the most successful and well-received frameworks that developers are fond of. We hope this article can be an elementary guide to any aspiring developer or spark an interest in the backbone of our favorite apps in the minds of any person who changes across this piece on the internet!